Saturday, July 19, 2008

Three French Hens

No, I am not referring to those most famous of hens, that were given to me, by my true love, on the third day of Christmas! But these were also given in love and are precious to me!



You see, my husband and I owned this 10 acres of beautiful Northern California soil for 8 years before we built our home here. For a time, it looked like our dream of living in the country might never happen. But even before we moved here, we spent lots of time out here, visiting our dream!

My parents loved this place too. We used to all drive out here on a Saturday morning, bringing our thermos of coffee, doughnuts & lawn chairs, to sit and visit in the shade of the biggest oak tree. Then when we had cleared enough of the land and fashoined a driveway, my parents took their 5th wheel RV out of storage & moved it on to the land. That was the beginning of many family breakfasts and BBQ's, and even camp-outs, "out on the ranch".

My daddy passed away before he could see our home standing on this property he loved so much! That always makes me sad when I think of it. Happily, Mom was able to see and spend time in our new home, and she loved everything about it. Before she became ill, she was considering building a small home for herself here. That would have been wonderful...Both parents were country folks at heart. I am grateful they taught me to appreciate it too!

One time when Mom came for some get-together, she brought me a gift - the Three French Hens! She said when she saw them in a catalog, she knew she had to get them for me! "They fit right in with all your other hens and roosters, and will look perfect on your countertop". She was right, don't you think?

I still want to build a coop & have real chickens. Until then, these girls keep me company in my kitchen. They are a sweet reminder of my loving parents and of how lucky I am to be living my dream!





I'm traveling for a few days next week for my job. I'll check in if/when I can. You all have a wonderful week!


Chris

©

No comments:

Post a Comment