Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Glorious Gourds!

I am a lover of all gourds! These bright, bumpy and oddly shaped beauties that announce Autumn are everywhere right now. The grocery store has them in netted bags in the produce section and the Farmer's Market and road-side stands have large, colorful displays. But my very favorites, the bottle and pear or kettle gourds have been scarce.

I grew them myself a couple of years ago, and it seems that I'll have to do that again! I love the way the look in fall decor. They are also useful for crafting projects like bird houses and rustic bowls. Click HERE to see some examples of crafts & HERE for interesting gourd facts.

The most glorious "natural" presentation of these gourds I have ever seen are in Mary Carol Garrity's home. (Mary Carol is the founder of Nell Hill's in Atchison, KS) The photos below were taken at a fall tour of her home tour.

Too late for me this year, but just wait until I plant my garden next spring! I'm going to have gourds coming out of my ears!







Enjoy! Chris
©

No comments:

Post a Comment