Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Very Nervous Labor Day!

This is how I spent my Labor Day afternoon!




This wildfire stayed about 1-1/2 miles from our home. But the wind was very gusty and kept changing directions. For a while, we had some ash falling, so that was a worry. We got all the garden hoses ready and kept as close a watch as we could over 10 acres.

At 8:30 pm the fire was 60 percent contained at 700 acres. We know of one home that was destroyed and several out buildings. There are still some evacuations in effect, but it appears that the fire crews are in "mop up" mode now.

While we keep a closely mowed and green 100' defensible space around our house, there is still plenty of dry grass, which although it is also mowed down, can ignite easily. The fire can also travel from treetop to treetop very quickly in the wind.

We were very lucky! But I have to tell you, I was really frightened! I am definitely ready for our rainy season!

Chris
©

No comments:

Post a Comment